First-time progressive wears know it's not always the easiest thing to adjust to, but when you do, it can make a world of difference in your quality of life.
Tips for successful progressive use:
1. Try them as soon as you need them. The younger we are, the more adaptable to change we can be.
2. Be patient and slow down. It will take time to adjust to seeing through your new progressive lenses because it is different than the natural vision you have become accustomed to.
3. Be intentional when choosing your new lenses. There are many progressive designs and some of them are easier to use or task-specific. Set yourself up for success by choosing a lens type that is suitable for your lifestyle.
4. How your glasses are fit and measured is important. Your new frames should be comfortable and fit well for your new lenses to work properly. Consult your optician for proper fit guidelines.
5. Practice. Practice. Practice.
When looking side to side, try pointing your nose at what you are looking toward. When looking at something close, try gazing down at it and experiment with where in the lens it looks the sharpest. When looking far away, be sure you are focusing through the top portion of your lenses.
6. Adjust your workspaces. To avoid discomfort, adjust the spaces you use the most to accommodate your new viewing areas.
7. Be consistent. Start using your new progressive glasses every morning and wear them as much as possible. Take small breaks if need. Remember, the more you wear them the faster you will get used to them.
At Eye Plus Optometry + Optical, we only use high-quality lenses to ensure we are doing the best to set you up for success with your new progressive lenses. Our optometrists and optician are always happy to help and answer any questions you may have about your glasses and eye health.
Need an optometrist in Nanaimo? Book yourself in by giving us a call at 250 591 1018.